Whoever invented #TacoTuesday is a genius. I love tacos, all the time. They are usually pretty healthy, requires very little cook time, no silverware needed, and just so freaking good. My husband isn’t as crazy about tacos as I am so on Tuesdays I use it as an excuse to try out a new taco. Well guess what?!? Fish Tacos were a HUGEEEEE hit in my house. They were all gone, like literally all gone. I couldn’t even finish putting the tacos together fast enough because hubby kept on picking at the fish and the avocado sauce. Needless to say they were the BEST tacos I have ever made, no joke. Tilapia is the perfect option for them! I’ve made fish tacos with different fish but tilapia so far has been the best and the sauce, OMG the sauce! It’s such a simple sauce but it’s so delicious and fresh on the fish. Try these out on your next #TacoTuesday and I guarantee everyone will love them and beg you for the recipe. Bonus! These are super healthy too!
- 2 lbs tilapia fillets
- 2 tsp fresh parsley
- 1 tsp garlic salt
- 1 tsp onion powder
- ½ tsp cumin
- ½ tsp pepper
- ½ tsp sea salt
- ½ tsp brown sugar
- ¼ tsp cayenne pepper
- 12 whole wheat flour tortillas
- ½ red cabbage, sliced thin
- ½ a medium-sized onion, diced
- 1 cup fresh cilantro
- 1 large tomato, chopped (I like on the vine tomatoes)
- 1 lime, juiced
- ½ cup sour cream (I used light sour cream)
- 1 ripe avocado
- 1 jalapeño, chopped and seeded (if desired)
- Combine the garlic salt, parsley, onion powder, cumin, sea salt, brown sugar, and cayenne pepper in a small bowl. Season both sides of the tilapia fillets with the mix and let it sit for a couple minutes.
- Combine the avocado, ½ a cup of cilantro, sour cream, jalapeño (optional) and ½ of the juiced lime in a food processor or blender. Add salt and pepper to taste. Pulse until well-combined and set aside.
- Combine the red cabbage, ½ of the juiced lime, onion, tomato, 1/4 of the cilantro in a large bowl and mix well.
- Heat a large grill pan (you can use a regular pan too) over medium-high heat and add in the tilapia. Cook the fish for 4-5 minutes on each side or until the the fish flakes apart easily.
- Break up the tilapia into small pieces, double up the tortilla shells, and start to distribute the fish evenly between the 6 sets of tortillas.
- Top the fish with slaw, avocado-cilantro sauce, and the rest of the 1/4 fresh cilantro. Enjoy!
Photos by Bora Images