Snow day = WAFFLES. Staying home and being in pjs all day is soooo nice! And what makes Saturday morning breakfast even better? Hot, fresh waffles. I love waffles. Savory or sweet I love them all, I don’t discriminate. I know we are all trying to stick to the resolutions we made of eating healthier but again, that doesn’t mean we have to give up all the things we love, like waffles. These waffles are loaded with whole grains, topped with delicious fresh fruit, and a homemade whipped cream. No one will even know that these waffles are actually good for you.
*Makes 6-8 waffles
- 3 cups whole wheat/grain flour
- 1/4 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp fine sea salt
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 6 tbsp unsalted butter, melted
- 1 1/2 cups 2% milk
- 2 large brown eggs
- 1 cup powder sugar, sifted
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 cup fresh blueberries
- 1 large mango, chopped
- Pure Maple syrup for serving
- For the whipped cream, add the heavy cream, powdered sugar, and vanilla extract in a mixing bowl. Whip on high speed until light, fluffy peaks begin to form. Add more powdered sugar as needed.
- Heat waffle iron according to directions
- Combine dry ingredients in a large bowl.
- Mix in melted butter, slowly.
- Combine milk and eggs in another bowl.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry slowly. It’s ok if it has lumps!
- Lightly great the waffle iron (I like to use olive oil spray)
- Use a scoop to place the batter in the MIDDLE of the iron and cook until it is lightly golden and crisp. Repeat until all batter is gone.
- Transfer to a plate, top with fresh mango, blueberries, whipped cream, and maple syrup. Enjoy!
Photos by Bora Images