Oh you guys I’m so excited to share this recipe with you!! I have always been a fan of chili in the colder months but it can get very unhealthy, very quickly. The hubs and I like to eat giant bowls of chili so I had to figure out a way to lighten this hearty dish up. With the addition of butternut squash it made this so perfect right now for the fall. Also I used ground turkey instead of beef. This cut the calorie count in half!! That’s a big win in my book.
While I was cooking the delicious smells filled up the entire apartment and I couldn’t wait to eat it. I knew it would be good but not this good haha. You know when you have an idea in your head and think it will be good and then turns out even better than you thought? That was this chili recipe. We inhaled it to say the least and then went back for seconds. I love that it tastes so fresh but isn’t crazy heavy either. A sprinkle of cilantro adds a really nice flavor to it but if you aren’t a fan leave it out and it will still taste amazinggggggg. Let me know what you guys think of it!
- 1lb Ground Turkey
- 1/2 a whole butternut squash, chopped into small cubes (you can find this pre-chopped in some stores)
- 16oz can of black beans, rinsed
- 28oz can crushed tomatoes
- 1 cup low sodium veggie stock
- 2 large raw tomatoes chopped (any variety is good, I used vine ripe)
- 1 yellow or orange bell pepper, chopped
- 1/2 a red onion, chopped
- 1 large shallot, diced
- 4 large garlic pieces, diced
- 1 cup shredded cheese (I used gouda but any kind you like works well)
- 2 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1 tsp coriander
- 2 tsp ground cayenne pepper
- 2 tsp Sea Salt
- Fresh cracked pepper to taste
- Low fat sour cream for garnish
- 1 scallion chopped for garnish
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro for garnish
- Blue Corn Tortilla Chips
- Using a large pot or dutch oven on med/high heat cook the ground turkey
- Add in the garlic, shallots, and onion. Cook until fragrant about 4 minutes
- Pour in the can of tomatoes and veggie stock. Stir well and let it simmer for about 5 minutes.
- Add the bell pepper, butternut squash, black beans, and chopped tomatoes. Stir well
- Add in all the spices, stir well, and let it simmer for 1 hour with the lid half on.
- Half way through simmering stir it well. Add more salt or pepper to your liking.
- Serve hot in bowls with tortilla chips and top with cheese, sour cream, scallions, sliced red onion, and cilantro. You can also add some red chili pepper flakes for some added heat.
*Also I have been using my new Waxonware Cookware for some time now and I love it! Get $5 off your order with code:ILONASHABOVTA. I promise you will love how well they cook and the clean up is so easy!
Photos by Bora Images