Birthdays come and birthdays go but somehow the big ones seems to really stand out. Today is my 30th birthday. Ouch that hurt just typing it. I’m still having a hard time with it to be honest. It just doesn’t feel real. Seriously, how are my 20s gone?!? Holy Sh*t people. I have been kinda dreading this birthday for awhile. It’s not just that I feel “old” because I don’t but just like where the hell has the time gone?!? The last few years have flown by so incredibly fast and they have been really good. I just don’t want to let go yet but I do have so many wonderful things coming in the future.
I am really excited about what this new decade will bring and hope that everyone is right about the 30s. They have all said it’s your best years and 30s are great. I’m keeping my fingers crossed. Although I will admit I do not wish to be in my early 20s again. Those years were rough and so much learning happened in that period of time. After 26 was when I really started to feel like I was finding my niche. I feel really good were I’m at in my life now and have learned so much. I guess it’s time to say goodbye to the 20s and embrace the new year ahead of me. It helps my birthday is in December because it feels like a month long celebration, which definitely eases the pain of getting older.
So cheers to a new decade and all the exciting things that will come with it. I can’t wait to see what this year has in store for me! Now to have a drink and eat ice cream for breakfast! (seriously go look at my Instagram 🙂 ) TGIF!
P.S. How cute is this sweater with the pom poms on it? It feels so festive 🙂
29 Things I’ve learned in my 20s
- Always stay true to yourself.
- Be open minded and listen to other people. You can learn so much
- Learn to let go (this has been a very hard thing, and I’m still working on it)
- Do things that scare you…take the leap
- Don’t be a wise ass…there is always something new to learn (trust me I’m such a smart ass)
- Treat yourself every once in awhile. You work hard and you deserve small rewards in between the big ones.
- Nothing good happens after 2am (Watch How I Met Your Mother)
- Spend the extra money for the good booze. Your non-hangover will thank you in the morning.
Quality over Quantity. ALWAYS!!
- Don’t live in the past…life only moves forward
- Sleep is golden…and so is a good mattress.
- Travel as much as you can…it enriches your life so much.
- Spend time with the ones you love…you never know when it will be the last time
- Say hi to a stranger once in a while…you never know what kind of story they may have to tell.
- Enjoy a cheat day ever now and then…it really won’t kill you.
- Take the challenges in life as a way to make you stronger.
- Things happen to people at different points in their life like success, babies, homes, etc. I’ve learned to let life takes it course and except that the path I’m on is the right one for me.
- Don’t feel bad about saying NO to things
- Be there for the people that matter in you life
- Healthy life choices pay off in the long run
- “Dream what you want to dream, go where you want to go, be what you want to be. Because you have only one life and one chance to do all the things you want to do.” I’m not sure who this quote is by but I love it and it resonates so much
- Laugh often!
- People come in and go out your life for a reason.
- Invest in an external hard drive and backup your work. You never know when disaster may strike (refer back to #7)
- It’s ok to stay home on a Friday night…your mind, body, and liver will thank you.
- Take risks…the payoff can be instrumental or the lesson will be monumental.
- Learn to cook if you haven’t yet…even if it’s just one or two meals that you master. The microwave if not the answer!
- Real life is messy but there is so much beauty in it.
- Enjoy life to the fullest and have no regrets. This has been my mantra since my early 20s and it still stays true. 🙂
Photos by Bora Images