Oh man you guys I am really feeling the rush of the holiday right now. There are only 5 days left to Christmas!!! Santa is coming!!!! So I feel like I still have so much to do and very little time before we leave on Friday to go to my parents house in Cleveland. While I am super excited to be with my family, I am really feeling the pressure of getting things done before the end of the year. Did I also mention it finally got cold here and feels like winter? I personally like the cold and the snow. Saturday was the first real snow fall and it was so pretty. It feels like winter is truly here. Most of all I do not like the wind. When it’s in the 20s and the wind blows it feels like below 0 and that is just brutal. Other than the wind I really enjoy the winter!
So with it being so cold a cup of hot chocolate is absolutely necessary, and it’s even better when there is booze in it! I love adding a little bit of booze to the hot chocolate to give it a little extra flavor. It also helps with staying warm so it’s a winner in my book. This recipe is super easy and quick to make. As long as you can turn a stove on and heat milk you are golden. Enjoy and stay warm!
- 32oz 2% milk (you can use any kind of milk)
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup shaved dark chocolate, from squares
- 1oz Kahlua per drink
- 1/2 pint heavy whipping cream
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1oz peppermint schnapps
- 4 candy canes, crushed into small pieces
- In a sauce pan add in the milk and simmer on low heat until you start to see tiny bubbles around the edges.
- Using a whisk, stir in the chocolate chips and shaved chocolate.
- Let it simmer for another 2 minutes.
- Once it is all melted remove from heat and whisk one more time.
- For the whipped cream, combine the heavy cream, sugar, cinnamon, and peppermint schnapps in a stand mixer or use a handheld mixer.
- Whip on high speed until light and fluffy. Add in more sugar if it's not thick enough.
- Add in 1oz of Kahlua to each mug.
- Pour in the hot chocolate.
- You can scoop or pipe the whipped cream on top.
- Top it with the crushed candy canes
- *You can use a variety of milk for this drink including almond milk
- *If you like it very rich, you can add a 1/2 cup of additional chocolate chips