We all know the classic tomato soup and grilled cheese is one of the best comfort foods on cold days. I always loved to dip my grilled cheese in my soup and I still do this every time. Anyone else do this too? There is something about a good bowl of soup and a hot, gooey grilled cheese that just goes so perfectly together. I wanted to do a twist on the classic and added in roasted red peppers. I am a biggggg fan of these peppers. They give food such a great taste. I like to munch on raw red peppers as a snack or with hummus but when they are roasted it becomes this entirely new food.
This tomato soup is so so so easy to make, it’s vegetarian, and absolutely delicious! You put everything in the soup pot to cook and then blend it all up with an immersion blender or a regular blender works too. The handheld immersion blender is really great for making soups and bisque. It’s one of my favorite things that I got from my bridal shower many years ago and I still use it all the time, unlike the fondue set we got. #whatwasithinking 🙁
So since Valentine’s Day is coming up I thought it would be super cute to make little heart shaped grilled cheese to go with the soup. All you need is bread, a heart shaped cookie cutter, and your favorite cheese. I used truffle gouda since it’s a favorite with my mushroom loving husband. Hope you all have a great Valentine’s Day with your loved ones or your best gals or guys! <3
Recipe Below 🙂
- 6 Roma or On the Vine tomatoes
- 1 cup mini heirloom tomatoes
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 6oz can of tomato paste
- 1 small yellow onion, chopped
- 4 cups veggie stock
- 1 large shallot, chopped
- 1 12-16oz jar of roasted red peppers
- 6 sprigs of fresh thyme
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- Sea Salt & Fresh Pepper to taste
- Roughly chop up all the tomatoes and set aside.
- Using a large soup pot, turn on to medium heat and add in the olive oil, garlic, shallot, and onion to sauté for about 2-3 minutes.
- Add in all the tomatoes, roasted red peppers, and stir. Let it cook for about 5 minutes on medium heat.
- Add in the veggie stock, tomato paste, ginger, thyme, salt, and pepper. Stir well.
- Let it simmer for 30 minutes half covered by a lid.
- After the 30 minutes use an immersion blender to blend it all together. Top with favorite shredded cheese and serve hot. Enjoy!
- *For the heart shaped grilled cheese you need to use a heart cookie cutter. Cut out the heart shapes in the bread before making the sandwich. Grill it on a pan with your favorite cheese.
Photos by Bora Images